Onboarding a new clearing member can take anything from four to twelve months to allow for documentation, operational and financial requirements.
Any timings presented are approximate and dependant on available resources at the prospective member to complete onboarding in the best possible time frame.
All clearing members also need to be a member of the LME.
Prospective members should:
- assign an internal project manager
- determine which testing phases they will be participating in
- obtain resources – operations, IT, risk, credit, legal, compliance
- confirm account structure required
- engage vendors (if utilised)
- confirm any internal approvals required
LME Clear Member Onboarding Guide (PDF)
- minimum net capital of $10 million
- banking mandates with secure payment system providers (SPS) settlement banks in a minimum of USD and GBP
- member’s staff must have sufficient experience and knowledge of the products being cleared
- appropriate systems to manage clearing activities
The membership application procedures form part of the rules and regulations of LME Clear and include:
- completion of appropriate application documentation
- a successful due diligence visit completed by LME Clear
- approval by the LME Clear Executive Risk Committee
- completion of necessary testing and training
- payment of default fund contribution – this is a minimum initial contribution which will be adjusted to a risk based contribution following a period of clearing
Member Jurisdictions Policy (PDF)
In order to begin an application to LME Clear, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay up to date
Register with LME.com
Receive full access to all our price data and gain access to our monthly LME newsletter, packed with market tips and insights from our on-staff specialists.