Find the agenda for LME Asia Week 2023 below.
8.30 - Registration opens
9:00 - Welcome address: Laura M Cha, Chairman, HKEX
9:05 - Opening remarks by guest of honour: Christopher Hui, Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury, HKSAR Government
9:15 - Keynote speech: Nicolas Aguzin, Chief Executive Officer, HKEX
9:25 - Panel discussion: The outlook for metals in 2023
After an uncertain, volatile year in 2022, what’s the outlook for metals markets in 2023?
- Will supply disruptions continue to affect metals prices?.
- How will China’s reopening affect metals markets?
- What role will metals play in the energy transition?
- How might regionalisation and de-globalisation shape the global metals market
- Chen Yan, Head of Basic Materials and Engineering Research, CICC
- Graeme Train, Head of Metals and Minerals Analysis, Trafigura
- Guy Wolf, Global Head of Market Analytics, Marex
- Zhu Yi, Global Head of Metals & Mining, Bloomberg Intelligence
Moderator: Liu Yang, Head of China Sales, LME
10:15 - Break
10:35 - "In conversation with" the LME CEO: Matthew Chamberlain, Chief Executive Officer, LME
Moderator: Tiger Shi, Chief Executive Officer, BANDS Financial Limited
10:55 - Expert view: China’s dual-circulation growth model and the outlook for commodity markets
Speaker: Prof. Ba Shusong, Managing Director, Chief China Economist, HKEX
11:25 - Expert view: QME and its unique role in RMB internationalisation
Speaker: Dong Feng, General Manager, QME
11:40 - Panel discussion: Ferrous update
The Asia steel market – is steel scrap the next strategic raw material?
- From trash to treasure – scrap is becoming a strategic raw material amid decarbonisation and the net-zero transition
- Updates on new Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) projects/capacity in US, EU and Asia
- Past disruptions are driving supply chain nearshoring – hedging should follow
- Outlook on Asian steel scrap and Hot Rolled Coil (HRC)
- Edric Koh, Head of Corporate Sales, Asia, LME
- Onson Li, International Steel Trading Strategy and Business Development Lead, Cargill Metals
- Ling Chi Hin, Asia Editor, Metals, Argus Media
12:10 - Lunch
13:30 - Spotlight on Battery Materials
- Yasmin Liu, Executive Vice President and Chief Integration Officer, Tianqi Lithium
- Wang Yanchen, Managing Director, SMM Global UK Ltd
- Zhang Rutie, CEO, Minmetals Industrial Financial Service Co. Ltd
Moderator: Robin Martin, Head of Market Development, LME
14:10 - Panel discussion: is sustainability sustainable?
- The sustainability agenda has been an ever-increasing focus for industry and politicians over the last few years. More recently though, geopolitical and economic issues have severely disrupted supply chains, shifting the focus from the future to the here and now.
- Can sustainability remain a priority in the face of global conflict, sky-high energy prices and increased country-specific, critical-mineral supply chain policies?
- What does “success” for the world’s sustainability efforts look like now?
Moderator: Georgina Hallett, Chief Sustainability Officer and Chief of Staff, LME
- John Johnson, CEO, CRU China
- Bryce Lee, Global lead of ESG and Sustainability, Huayou Cobalt
- Benjamin Liu, Director – Material Stewardship, Public Affairs (Asia), International Copper Association
14:50 - Panel discussion: How is the carbon agenda impacting metals markets?
Moderator: Ken Chiu, Head of Carbon & ESG Products, HKEX
- Clara Chan, Chief Executive Officer, Lee Kee Group Ltd
- Eric Hurson, Executive Director, Head of FM Commodity and Private Side Structuring, GCNA , Standard Chartered Bank
15:30 - Networking and seminar concludes
For further information on sponsorship or if you have any questions, please contact us via email.