LMEpassport is the electronic certificates of analysis (CoA) and digital credentials register from the London Metal Exchange.
A key component of the LME’s sustainability strategy, LMEpassport is designed to provide participants with two key services:
- A digital store for electronic CoAs of metal physically delivered into and out of the LME ecosystem, replacing the current paper-based model.
- A facility for recording information related to metals’ sustainability.
What is LMEpassport?
CoAs in LMEpassport
CoAs are key quality assurance documents that must accompany all shipments of LME metals into and out of warehouses. They show the origins, purity, size and shape of a batch of metal.
LMEpassport digitises CoAs, replacing paper or PDF records which can often be damaged or lost as metal travels around the world. The digitised CoAs bring more certainty, accessibility and transparency to the process.
LMEpassport and sustainability provenance
LMEpassport offers metal brand producers the opportunity to voluntarily input other value-add information relating to sustainability. These credentials and disclosures cover the spectrum of environmental, social, governance (ESG) and multi-dimensional categories.
LMEpassport allows users to view:
• Producer profiles – these showcase all the information pertaining to LME brands listed by a specific producer, or multiple producers if part of the same overarching group, providing an holistic view of both the activity of that producer/group, and highlighting all the ESG credentials that the producer has uploaded to LMEpassport.
• Targets, goals and commitments – these showcase LME brands targets, goals and commitments against a variety of ESG metrics including GHG emissions, biodiversity and corruption controls.
• Producer side-by-side – this tab allows users to select up to five LME brand producers and compare their sustainability credentials and disclosures simultaneously, either at asset or entity level.
For more detailed information about the sustainability side of LMEpassport, please visit the dedicated web section.
Who is the system for?
Roll out of LMEpassport for physical users
LMEpassport launched on 31 August 2021, and has seen a number of additional system enhancements since then. The requirement for warehouse companies to start using the system is being rolled out gradually, starting with aluminium in October 2024, moving on to include all other applicable producers from October 2025.